Thursday, May 6, 2010

Le Vent Du Nord

Folkworld CD Review of Le Vent Du Nord;

"appealing to contemporary audiences and critics alike, is a sure winner"

(http://www.folkworld.de/35/e/cds3.html)


Are they right?



French Canadian folk band (Le Vent Du Nord) performed on the 29th January 2010 in the Glasgow Royal Concert hall. Attending, were many schools, including those with special needs.

Hard core fans were also there to witness the performance. As two old and friendly gentlemen told me;

"We've travelled to Canada to see them. Have you?"

The question I thought was rather peculiar at first. The men asked me if I would spend hundreds of pounds- to travel thousands of miles- to see a few men perform for a few hours- and they asked it as if it were quite reasonable. Was this band really worth all that effort?

As I waited for gig to begin, I looked around at the large setting that I was in: The Main Auditorium. Not every seat was filled, but still it was a good turn out. The room was decorated in royal red which brought about a sense of professionalism and made it seem that this room in the past had been entertained by the best.

As the time drew closer for the band to arrive the audience became restless with sheer excitement. I, on the other hand was stiff. I wasn't going to let myself fall helplessly in awe as soon as the live performance began. I would remain a critic and judge for myself whether the band was worth jumping up and down for.

Four men arrived on stage. Nicolas Boulerice, Simon Beaudry, Olivier Demars and Réjean Brunet. All multi- instrumentalists and singers which came across as very impressive to the not only the audience but myself. The changing of instruments not only kept the band on the move but the performance itself.

When they began to play, the musical talent leaped from the instruments and onto the audience members. It was obvious from the expressions of some children's faces that celtic music had just never been introduced to them. Their jaws dropped, yet a smile was still visible. Everybody loved it.

The exhilarating speed of the ceilidh music and the beautiful yet simple choice of notes created a chain reaction of dancing within the audience members. I couldn't believe my eyes when I saw not only children but adults doing whatever their bodies told them to do. The two gentlemen pointed out girls doing irish dancing in the aisle way and children doing actual ceilidh dances like 'The dashing white sergeant'. Not only that, but even those with special needs were dancing and having, obviously a fantastic treat.

This reaction of the audience brought across the sheer importance that it has on our lives. Not many people realise that having music in their life is healthy- especially significant to certain individuals. The audience was having quite literally a celtic ball. However, let's look at the audience as many unique individuals. There could be people that are lonely; afraid; shy; insecure; troubled; But by being in that atmosphere, I just can't imagine how even the slightest ray of happiness and glee could not enter their body.

The music itself was also brilliant. The compositions presented were a mixture of the bands own music and traditional folk songs from their home. The genres of the celtic music were selections of ballads, dances and quite simply- songs about wine and cheese. A wonderful selection of variations and styles.


So, would I travel all the way to Canada to see this band perform for a few hours? Quite possibly. (If I had the money!)


Links: http://www.leventdunord.com/ (Their own website)


http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yqyN0zuy-nY&feature=related (Live at Celtic Connections 2008)

No comments:

Post a Comment