Thursday, May 6, 2010

Art's Role in Our Lives


Whether we know it or not, art is everywhere.


When you walk down the streets what do you hear from the shops. Silence? Shops like HMV or New Look will have music blaring out of them. But why?


The type of music a place has can often affect the person who enters the location and sometimes even indulge somebody to go in. HMV and New Look purposely play the latest popular music in the hope that people will come to the shop just to hear their favourite song at the time.


In Starbucks, relaxing music such a reggae, latin or jazz is played to set a calming mood among the customers and will often keep the venue at a reasonable volume. It is also there to encourage people to stay for longer as they settle into the mood.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p62rfWxs6a8 (Soothing song used in Starbucks)



In TV theme tunes, the music often depicts what the show is like and attracts the audience it wants. For example, the BBC News theme tune depicts the seriousness of the show simply through the use of instruments: drums create a tense atmosphere and the electronic beeps sound almost like sirens from an ambulance.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4TSJhIZmL0A&feature=related (BBC Theme)



Through the 'arts within society course' I have learnt an incredible amount about art. Before I thought people could only suit a specific art (for me that would be music) but I was wrong. Art, no matter what area, can suit everybody.


Art and dancing were always my weak spots and it was up to me to explore them. After my first few attempts at dancing and visiting art galleries I had given up hope that I could ever enjoy them. It wasn't until I found that right types of dancing and art to suit me that I began to have fun.


Not only did I enjoy myself but I did actually learn that I needed them. Dancing brought so much freedom to myself when listening to music and allowed my body to have a mind of it's own and go mad doing what ever it wants. When I listen to music on my own I always find myself letting my body express itself. Before I locked it away and wouldn't let myself go with the flow.


Furthermore with art, I used to believe that because I wasn't very good at making art, it would effect what other peoples art could do for me. Visiting the GMMA and Kelvingrove Museum in Glasgow awakened my mind. Before I used to think painting were splodges of colour, but then I realised it's what behind the colour that matters. How does that help you make ask? It helps you see life in different ways. It creates you to be open minded. It can also remind you of the fact that you aren't alone with some thoughts you may have- other people have them too.




As a teacher and even experimenting with arts, I have seen my pupils in a new light. Their eyes awaken, their interested, excited yet calm. They are expressing themselves.


I believe art is one of the basic needs of our health


Links: http://ezinearticles.com/?Music-For-Healthy-Living&id=1939055 (Why music is healthy)


http://www.healthyarts.org/ (An example of healthy art workshops in Essex with those with special needs)


http://www.hope-street.org/healthyarts/diary.htm (An example of healthy art work with children and youth)


http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yJCxRgBUy3w&feature=PlayList&p=44E8EA98B461FDFE&playnext_from=PL&playnext=1&index=59

(An interview of the importance of expressive arts)


http://www.accessmylibrary.com/article-1G1-139299062/using-expressive-arts-group.html

(An article on the importance of expressive arts in our lives)

No comments:

Post a Comment